Areas of Interest
- Geoelectromagnetism, Modelling, Inversion, groundwater geophysics, environmental geophysics, Geoelectromagnetism, Forward & Inverse Modelling, Magetotellurics, Groundwater geophysics
|2015-01-01||2 years||Chairman DRC||IITR|
|2019-01-01||Ongoing||Chairman DAPC 2019-continued||IITR|
|2015-01-01||3 years||Vice President of SMC ABN IITR,||ABN, IIT Roorkee|
|2016-01-01||1 year||Director’s Nominee in Institute Security Advisory Committee (SAC)||IITR|
|2015-01-01||2 years||Member of Institute Research Committee (IRC)||IITR|
Honors and Awards
|Khosla Research prize and Commendation certificate of Roorkee University 1987||Roorkee University||1987|
|Khosla Research medal and prize of||Roorkee.University||1988|
|Star Performer||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||2020|
|Ph. D.||Exploration Geophysics||University of Roorkee||1989|
|M. Sc.||Physics||Garhwal Univ. Srinagar(Garhwal), U.P., India||1980|
|B.Sc.||Physics, Chemistry, Maths||Garhwal Univ. Srinagar(Garhwal), U.P., India||1978|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Geophysical-Resistivity survey and data analysis for aquifer characterization||NIH Roorkee||2007-01|
|Magnetotelluric investigations in Garhwal Himalaya, India.||University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany||2007-01|
|Groundwater recharges estimation using surface resistivity method.||University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany||2009-01|
|Geoelectrical methods for groundwater investigations||Department of Hydrology, IIT Roorkee||2009-01|
|Electromagnetic Techniques: CSEM and VLF methods for groundwater investigations||Department of Hydrology, IIT Roorkee||2009-01|
|Geophysical method for solving geological problems: Geoelectrical techniques, Lecture series||Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra||2010-01|
|Magnetotelluric investigations in Garhwal Himalaya. Indo-French Workshop on “Deep Earth Processes||Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu, India. Sponsored by IFCPAR(CEFIPRA), New Delhi||2011-01|
|Participated in Seminar on “Drilling Technology”||Institute of Drilling Technology(IDT) Dehradun. Sponsored by Petrotech/ONGC Dehra||2011-01|
|Groundwater recharge estimation and aquifer characterization using integrated Geo||Indo-Tunisian Workshop on Water Science and Technology CSIR-NGRI (Hyderabad), India||2012-01|
|Geoelectrical resistivity methods of exploration||Remote Sensing and Application Center (RSAC) Lucknow||2015-01|
|Electrical resistivity methods and its application||Bangladesh in Geological survey of Bangladesh, Dhaka||2015-01|
|Geotechnical and geological investigations under overburden:||Continuing Education Centre IITR||2017-01|
Refereed Journal Papers
1. 1985 P. N. Ram, R. D. Bijalwan , P. D. Semalty and M. Israil: Resonant Scattering of phonons in ZnS:Fe2+ and CdTe:Fe2+. Phys. Stat. Sol.(b) 13, 365-373.
2. 1986 Sri Niwas and M. Israil: Computation of apparent resistivities using an exponential approximation of kernel functions. Geophysics, 51, 8, 1594-1602
3. 1987 Sri Niwas and M. Israil: A simple method of interpreting resistivity sounding data using exponential approximation of kernel function. Geophyical Prospecting vol. 35, 5, 548-569.
4. 1987 Sri Niwas and M. Israil: A simple method of interpreting of dipole resistivity sounding." Geophysics vol. 52, 1412-1417
5. 1989 Sri Niwas and M. Israil: Matrix method for the transformation of resistivity sounding data of one electrode configuration to that of other electrode configuration. Geophysical Prospecting Vol. 37, 209-221.
6. 1989 Sri Niwas and M. Israil: A discussion of "A simple method of interpreting of dipole resistivity sounding" Geophysics vol. 52, 10, 1412-1417" Geophysics vol. 54, 1647.
7. 1991 M. Israil and Sri Niwas: Resistivity data interpretation in the vicinity of vertical discontinuity using matrix method. Acta. Geod. Geop. Mont. Hung. Vol.26 (1-4), 395-405.
8. 1992 M. Israil: Apparent resistivity computation for the models with transitional layers. Acta. Gcod. Geop. Mont. Hung. Vol.27 (2-4), 399-404.
9. 1994 M. Israil: Resistivity data interpretation for the identification of subsurface electrical structure of the earth. Journal of Physics Education, Vol. 11(1), 24-36.
10. 1994 M. Israil and P. C. Chaturvedi: Geoelectrical studies for the ground water investigation near Kurukshatra- Haryana. Hydrology Journal vol. xvii, 61-68.
11. 1996 M. Israil, Nand Lal and Abhey Bansal: Iso- resistivity map for the estimation of ground water potential in Jind area- Haryana. Hydrology Journal vol. xix, 45-51
12. 2001 I. sarkar, A. K. Pachauri and M. Israil: On the damage caused by the Chamoli Earthquake of March 29,1999. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 19,129-134.
13. 2001 D. K. Sharma, M. K. Bansal, J. Rai and M. Israil: Variation of aerosols in relation to some meteorological parameters. Mausam, 52, 4, 709-716.
14. 2002 M. Israil and Pachauri A. K.: Characterization of a landslide site in Himalayan foothill region. J. of Ind. Geophys. Union 6, 2, 71-80
15. 2003 D. K. Sharma, J. Rai, M. Israil and S. C. Garg: The effect of lighting on ionospheric temperature determined by SROSS-C2 Satellite. Ind. J. Radio and Space Phy 32, 93-97.
16. 2003 D. K. Sharma, J. Rai, M. Israil, P. Subrahmanyam, P. Chopra and S. C. Garg: Sunrise effect on ionospheric temperature as measured by SROSS- C2 Satellite. J. of Ind. Geophysical Union 7, 2, 117-123.
17. 2003 D. K. Sharma, J. Rai, M. Israil and Pratap Singh: Summer variation of the atmospheric aerosol number concentration over Roorkee, India. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics 65, 9, 1007-1019.
18. 2003 M. Israil and Pachauri A. K: Geophysical characterization of a landslide site in the Himalayan foothill region. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 22, 253-263.
19. 2004 D. K. Sharma, J. Rai, M. Israil, P. Subrahmanyam, P. Chopra and S. C. Garg: Enhancement in ionospheric temperature during thunderstorms. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics 66, 51-56
20. 2004 D. K. Sharma, J. Rai, M. Israil and S. C. Garg: Lighting induced heating of the ionosphere. Atmosfera vol. 17, 1, 31-38
21. 2004 D. K. Sharma, J. Rai, M. Israil, P. Subrahmanyam, P. Chopra and S. C. Garg: Effect of solar flare on electron and ion temperatures as measured by SROSS-C2 satellite. Ind. J. Radio and Space Physics Vol. 33, 7-12.
22. 2004 M. Israil, Pravin K. Gupta and D. K. Tyagi: Determining sharp layer boundaries from straightforward inversion of resistivity sounding data. J. Ind. Geophysical Union 8, 2, 125-133.
23. 2004 D. K. Sharma, J. Rai, M. Israil, P. Subrahmanyam, P. Chopra and S. C. Garg: Enhancement in electron and ion temperature due to solar flares as measured by SROSS-C2 satellite, Annales Geophysicae 22, 2047-2052.
24. 2005 D. K. Sharma, J. Rai, M. Israil, P. Subrahmanyam: Diurnal, seasonal and latitudinal variations of ionospheric temperatures of the topside F region over the Indian region during solar minimum (1995-1996). Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics 67, 3, 269-274.
25. 2005 Rambhatla G. Sastry, Neeta Chaudhary and M. Israil: Is there a need for variable density option in making combined mass correction to gravity data acquired over high relief? Current Science vol. 88, 2, 269-273.
26 2005 D. K. Sharma, Ramesh Chand, M. Israil, Jagdish Rai: Variation of electron and ion temperature ratio over the Indian region during the period 1995-1999 as measured by SROSS-C2 satellite. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics 67, 1443-1447.
27. 2006 M. Israil, Mufid al-Hadithi, D. C. Singhal and Bhism Kumar: Groundwater-recharge estimation using a surface electrical resistivity method in Himalayan foothill region, India. Hydrogeology Journal 14: 44-50.
28. 2006. M. Israil, Mufid al-Hadithi, D. C. Singhal: Application of a resistivity survey and geographical information system (GIS) analysis for hydrogeological zoning of a piedmont area, Himalayan foothill region, India. Hydrogeology Journal 14: 753-759.
29. 2006 D. K. Sharma, Ramesh Chand, M. Israil, Jagdish Rai: Effect of seismic activities on ion temperature in the F2 region ionosphere. Atmosfera 19(1), 1-7.
30. 2006 M. Israil: Delineation of layer boundaries from smooth models obtained from the inversion of geoelectrical sounding data. Acta Geophysica Polonica, Vol 54, 2, 126-141.
31. 2006 M. Israil, Mufid al-Hadithi, D. C. Singhal, Bhishm Kumar, M. Someshwar Rao and S. K. Verma: Groundwater resources evaluation in the Piedmont zone of Himalaya, India, using Isotope and GIS techniques. Journal of Spatial Hydrology, vol 6, no. 1.
32. 2006 D. K. Sharma, M. Israil, Ramesh Chand, Jagdish Rai, P. Subrahmanyam and S.C. Garg. Signature of seismic activities in the F2 region ionospheric electron. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, Vol. 68, 6, 691-696
33. 2007 M. Israil, Kumari Sudha, D. C. Singhal, Provin K. Gupta, Sosina Shimeles, Vinay K. Sharma: Direct determination of aquifer configuration using Geoelectrical techniques in a Piedmont zone, Himalayan foothills region, India. Current Science, 92, 9, 1293-96.
34. 2007 M. Israil, Sri Niwas and O. A. L. De Lima: Inversion of resistivity sounding data: a critical appraisal of three numerical techniques. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. India 77(A), IV, 321-28
35. 2008 M. Israil, D. K. Tyagi, P. K. Gupta , Sri Niwas: Magnetotelluric investigations for imaging electrical structure of Garhwal Himalayan Corridor, Uttarakhand, India, J. of Earth Syst. Sci. 117,3, 189-200.
36. 2009 Kumari Sudha, Israil M, Mittal S, Rai J; Soil characterization using electrical resistivity tomography and geotechnical investigations. Journal of Applied Geophysics 67, 74-79.
37. 2009 Ranjan Sinha, Israil M, Singhal D C ; A hydrogeological model of the relationship between Geoelectric and hydraulic parameters of anisotropic aquifers Hydrogeology Journal 17, 495-503.
38. 2009 R. Chand, M. Israil and J. Rai ; Schumann resonance frequency variations observed in magnetotelluric data recorded from Garhwal Himalayan region India. Ann. Geophys., 27, 3497-3507.
39. 2010 Sudha, B. Tezkan, M. Israil, D. C. Singhal and J. Rai ; Geoelectrical mapping of aquifer contamination: A case study from Roorkee/India. J. of Near-surface Geophysics 8, 33-42.
40 2010 D. C. Singhal, M. Israil, V. K. Sharma and B. Kumar: Evaluation of groundwater resources and estimation of its potential in Pathri Rao watershed, district Haridwar (Uttarakhand). Current Science, 98, 2,25, 162-170.
41 2011 Sri Niwas, B. Tezkan and M. Israil; Aquifer hydraulic conductivity estimation from surface Geoelectrical measurements for Krauthausen test site, Germany. Hydrogeology Journal 19, 307-315.
42 2011 Sudha, Bulent Tezkan, M. Israil and J. Rai; Combined electrical and electromagnetic imaging of hot fluid within fractured rock in rugged Himalayan Terrain. J. App. Geophysics 74,205-214.
43 2012 P. Yogeshwar, B. Tezkan, M. Israil, M. E. Candansayar; Groundwater contamination in the Roorkee area, India: 2D joint inversion of Radiomagnetotelluric and Direct current Resistivity data. J. App. Geophysics 76,127-135.
44 2013 M. von Papen, B. Tezkan and M. Israil; Characterization of an aquifer in Roorkee, India using spatially constrained inversion of in-loop tem data. J. of Near Surface Geophysics, 11, 1, 85-94
45. 2014 Rohit Miglani, M. Shahrukh1, M. Israil,, Pravin K. Gupta, S. K. Varsheney, and
Sokolova Elena: Geoelectric structure estimated from magnetotelluric data from the Uttarakhand Himalaya, India, J. of Earth Syst. Sci. 123, 8, 1907-1918.
46. 2016 E. Yu. Sokolova, M. Israil P. Gupta, A. V. Koshurnikov, M. Yu. Smirnov,
M. V. Cherevatova; Crustal electrical conductivity of the Indian continental subduction zone: New data from the profile in the Garhwal Himalaya. Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth, 52(2), 271-290; DOI 10.1134/S1069351316020130.
47. 2016 A K Jain, S Dasgupta, O N Bhargava, M Israil, R Jayangonda perumal, R C Patel, M Mukul, S K Parcha, V Adlakha, K K Agarwal, P Singh,K Bhattacharyya, N C Pant and D M Banerjee, Tectonics and Evolution of the Himalaya. Proc Indian Natn Sci Acad 82 No. 3 July Spl Issue 2016 pp. 581-604
48. 2016 N.S. Golubtsova, M. Israel, P.Yu. Pushkarev, M.Yu. Smirnov, E.Yu. Sokolova
2016, First experience of three-dimensional interpretation of magnetotelluric data, obtained in Garhwal Himalaya. № 1 (9) 2016| ВОПРОСЫ ЕСТЕСТВОЗНАНИЯ (In Russian)
49. 2016 M. Israil, Paramjeet Mamoriya, Pravin K. Gupta1 and S. K. Varshney. 2016. Transverse tectonics feature delineated by modelling of magnetotelluric data from Garhwal Himalaya corridor, India. Current Science, vol. 111, no. 5, 868-875.
50. 2017 Rahul Dehiya, Arun Singh, Pravin K. Gupta, M. Israil Optimization of computations for adjoint field and Jacobian needed in 3D CSEM inversion. Journal of Applied Geophysics 136 (2017) 444–454
51 2017 Rahul Dehiya, A Singh, Pravin K. Gupta, M. Israil 3D CSEM data inversion algorithm based on simultaneously active multiple transmitters concept. Geophys. J. Int. 209, 1004–101
52 2017 Arun Singh, Rahul Dehiya, Pravin K. Gupta, M. Israil; A MATLAB based 3D modeling and inversion code for MT data. Computers & Geosciences 104, 1–11
53 2017 Anita Devi, M. Israil, R. Anbalagan, Pravin K. Gupta; Subsurface soil characterization using geoelectrical and geotechnical investigations at a bridge site in Uttarakhand Himalayan region Journal of Applied Geophysics 144, 78–85.
54 2019 Anita Devi, Mohammad Israil, Pravin K. Gupta, S. K. Varshney, and Naser Meqbel Transverse Tectonics Structures in the Garhwal Himalaya Corridor Inferred from 3D Inversion of Magnetotelluric Profile Data. Pure Appl. Geophys. DOI 10.1007/s00024-019-02222-3